A Stitch at a Time

Color! What a wonderful concept. Custom, unique color to boot!  I recently attended a class at Gail Harker's Studio in La Conner, Washington where we spent five days packed first with learning to use Procion dyes to dye fabric and fibers and then learning the intricacies of hand stitching.
These are my sets of fabrics (rayon/wool felt) and fibers (all sorts from cotton to silk) dyed and laying next to each other before we set about to stitching them together.
Since my fibers (dyed first) seemed to be so very vibrant, I decided to make my fabric more pastel in color. It worked well to start with yet then I seemed to drift back to dark and vibrant colors before the end. I love them all though!
 And finally here are some of the pieces stitched with the fiber. I hope to use these new techniques to enhance my artwork that I am already creating. These are now going to be turned into a small book of reference stitches...much like they used to do in days gone by when mothers and grandmothers taught their daughters and grand daughters.

Enjoy your week,
Janet

Comments